Saturday, July 30, 2011

Denise Vasquez

Denise Vasquez is an artist who creates because it is a part of her being! Her talents run the gamut from being an Award winning singer/songwriter/guitarist, activist and founder of “Wo+Men 4 A Cause”, to being an actress, illustrator, custom toy designer, freelance journalist, co-author of “Sketch Card Mania” and more! Denise Vasquez has been performing onstage since the age of 4! She studied acting in New York City at the “Lee Strasberg Theater Institute” and the “Puerto Rican Traveling Theater Training Unit” and is currently preparing to be a part of the theatrical production of the Pink Floyd Project “Dark Side Of The Moon”, and she’s also enjoying being a member of “The LA Connection Comedy Theater” in Sherman Oaks, CA doing Improv! Over the years, Denise has been featured in theatrical productions, Feature films, TV, music videos, Improv shows, industrials and educational films. Denise proudly endorses & enjoys working with Sakura USA, HK Holbein, Daisy Rock Guitars, Audix Microphones, AFTRA & ASCAP. Denise has lived in New York City, Scotland, London, US Virgin Islands, and is currently residing in Hollywood California. As a singer, songwriter, guitarist, Denise has produced 3 albums (“Frame Of Mind”, “Live In One Take”, “Fighting Darkness”, available thru her website or on itunes), featuring her voice, her songwriting skills & guitar playing! She has won many nominations and awards, and has traveled extensively for over twenty years, performing her music in some of the most legendary venues worldwide! Her favorite gig to date was performing at the legendary “Cavern Club” home of the “Beatles” in Liverpool!  Denise has designed and illustrated music posters, CD covers, logos, mixed media 3D art, custom vinyl figures, sketch cards, has also sold many of her original works of art on canvas, glass, and clothing. Two vinyl dolls (Conan O'brien & his horny Teddy & The Flaming C) designed & created by Denise Vasquez are being featured in the "Museum of Conan Art" COCO MoCA! Denise is currently creating custom vinyl toys for “Bean Pot Toiz”, and has done work for Impact Books/F&W Media, DKE Toys, Topps,  Breygent Marketing, Sadlittles, 5Finity Productions & more! Feel free to browse her website to learn more about Denise Vasquez  http://www.denisevasquez.com


Now... what shall we talk about?


6 Questions with Denise Vasquez

1. What are your favorite and your least favorite words?

  "My favorite words are: “truth, respect, peace, love, art, soul, theater, music, inspire, motivate, elevate, create, dream, live, laugh, be, unique, honest, trust, kismet, luck, joy, happiness, compassion, moment, toys, be, free, hope, equality, community, thank you and I’m sorry…
My least favorite words are negative, hate, jealousy, racial slurs, lies, gossip, entitlement, and HISPANIC…As a latin woman, I don’t like being referred to as anyone’s panic!"

 2. What turns you on creatively, spiritually, emotionally?

  "I totally get turned on by working with the people who I love & who inspire me most! I have the pleasure of working with my man Randy Martinez on many projects! We wrote an amazing book together called “Sketch Card Mania” (Published by IMPACT BOOKS/F&W Media), and we’re getting ready for a gallery show that opens August 20th at “Hold Up Art” Gallery http://www/holdupart.com downtown LA featuring some of our “Star Wars” Art!  Life inspires me creatively, emotionally & spiritually. Nature inspires me. The people I’ve met on my path inspire me. Everything I see, smell, taste, touch, hear, and experience inspires me. "Life is my canvas, experience is my palette, my heart, soul and imagination are my tools" ~Denise Vasquez"

3. What is the closest you have ever come to giving up art?

  "Giving up art would be the death of me! 'I am an artist who creates because it is a part of my being!' ~Denise Vasquez"

 4. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?

  "I’ve never wanted to do or be anything other than who I am…an artist. Every time I’ve attempted other professions, I’ve been miserable! So I do what I love, and love what I do and I’m the happiest I could ever be! 'When you do what you love & truly love what you do, your passion will shine through your being and all you create' ~Denise Vasquez"

5. What is the strangest thing you have ever done while painting?

  "This is not strange to me, but probably strange to others…On the 4th of July, I made the choice to stay in & paint all day while there was a HUGE BBQ party happening right outside my studio window. I was totally in a zone & did not stop! I painted for like 12 hours straight! When I’m connected & my creativity is flowing, my muse is talking and I listen! I heard Tom Petty once say “Never ignore your muse” I totally agree! I will go with creating any time, anywhere & some people just don’t understand that!"

6. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or Allah or Yahweh or Odin. Generally the Supreme Being of your choice.) say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

  “You did great! Welcome Home  (^.^)"


I would like to thank Denise again for taking time out of her busy schedule to answer my questions. If you would like to know more about this renaissance woman surf any one of the following links:

No comments:

Post a Comment