Saturday, September 24, 2011

Billy Penn

Billy Penn graduated from Florida State University with a degree in Art Education which is very important if you fancy being an art teacher, and not important at all if want to be a writer.
He has illustrated comic books for both Platinum Studios and Image Comics. Billy also self-publishes (prints really) his own comics through his “Graphic Cereals” imprint.

When he’s not busy being an elementary school art teacher, he’s dreaming up new projects and stories to tell with pictures. He currently resides in Tallahassee, Florida with his awesome chef wife and their two little boys.
 

Now Mr Jones, tell me again about these Sankara stones.

6 Questions with Billy Penn.

1. What are your favorite and your least favorite words?
"I like F-bombs for their versatility (mostly as a gerund. And not very often, mom.)

I hate racial slurs. I have a dream where we can ridicule people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."


2. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
"The creative impulse and the urge to pee."

3. What turns you off creatively, spiritually, emotionally?
"Anyone who tries to waste my time (and they usually don’t realize it, bless their hearts.) I can chip away at something, ANYTHING, in five minutes. It’s not much. But those five minutes will slowly add up to hours, days, weeks, months, years, and get me closer to the finished project.  I never know what the outcome of any particular project will be, but I DO KNOW that doing nothing slowly results in nothing."
 
4. What is the closest you have ever come to giving up your craft?
"I’ve never come close. I’d give-up on a lot of important stuff before I’d give up my passion for creating.
For the sake of giving you an answer, the closest I’ve come to “giving up” was a little brick wall in the fall of ’98. It really just made me reassess my approach to pitching. I wound up falling in love with my future wife during the break instead."


5. What is the strangest thing you have ever done while creating?
"Occasionally, my wife will find me talking to myself. It’s not strange at all for a writer to say dialogue aloud, but my wife usually catches my at the tail-end on me congratulating myself. Like a personal trainer.With F-bombs. That’s pretty awkward."

6. Assuming heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or Allah or Yahweh or Odin. Generally the Supreme Being of your choice.) say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
"Good job, dude! Here, enjoy this everlasting Sno-cone while you relive your favorite memories over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over…"
 
Thanks to Billy for agreeing to do this and thanks to YOU for reading!
See you next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment